Historical Materials that are relevant to the Museums’ missions of local history are welcomed. Local includes the greater Novato area including Ignacio & Hamilton Field north to the Marin County line and Black Point west to Hicks Valley. The history is from the land grant days to the present.
Historical Materials include:
- Original photographs of economic, social, political and community events
- Personal records such as diaries, letters and professional papers
- Business and organizational records such as brochures, deeds of trust and legal documents
- Objects that represent the economic, social, or cultural heritage of the area.
Relevant items are:
- Descriptive of the history of Novato and Hamilton Field and the people who shaped the area.
- Significant in quality, rarity and historical value.
Donation Criteria and Process
To evaluate an item’s relevance and historical significance start by asking these questions:
- Was the item made or used in Novato or Hamilton Field?
- Does it tell a story unique to Novato or Hamilton Field?
- Does it have significance to the history of Novato or Hamilton Field?
- Is it rare?
- Is it in good condition and can be displayed in the museums?
If you believe your item meets these criteria, then contact one of the museums to schedule an appointment with a Guild representative. The item will be evaluated to determine if it is appropriate for the museums’ collection. Due to limited storage space the museums have to be very selective in accepting donations. If the item is accepted into the collection, you will be asked to sign a Deed of Gift transferring all rights of ownership to the City of Novato. While we cannot accept every item, we welcome the opportunity to review your historical material.