1900 – 1949: Building A Community
|1902||Novato’s first newspaper, Marin Co. Banner begun by John Bond. It stopped publication in 1919.|
|1903||2nd train depot built, first depot moved behind Druids Hall|
|1905||Robert Trumbull Sr. replaced Hatch as manager of Novato Land Co. He and his wife
Edith Morrow Brown from Petaluma moved into the former Sweetser/DeLong home.They purchased the home in 1916 when Novato Land Co. sold off their holdings.
|1906||Neilsen-Simmons House built by the Neilsens, a ranching family. It was admired for its impressive detailing. Later, the house was owned by the Simmons . It is still standing at the corner of DeLong and Sherman.|
|1907||Flatiron Bld. and Abraham Yelmorini’s Saloon built, the former to block view from thetrain station of other saloons on Grant Ave.
Novato Sanatorium, the first hospital, was established in the Oliver House on Railroad Ave.
|1908||Telephone company established by Will Cain. There were five telephone subscribers: railway depot, cheese factory, Dr.Kuser, Mr. Trumbull and Scott’s store.
July 3 – Train wreck in Novato – Kills one person
|1909||DeBorba’s Saloon built on Grant Ave. by Antonio (Tony) DeBorba Jr. It is still owned and operated by the DeBorba family. Tony’s father owned a dairy ranch at Deer Island.|
|1910 – 1930||Many chicken ranches, dairies & vineyards started.|
|1910||Carlile’s hardware store built at 815-817 Grant Ave. by Charles Carlile. Operated until his death in 1961.
August 10th – Train wreck in Ignacio kills 6 – Will Cain injured
|1911||Electric Company established by Will Cain. In 1912 Will and his brother Al Cain established the Novato Water Company. In 1916 incorporated as Novato Utilities Co to include electricity, water and phone.|
|1913||Novato Bank was chartered and located at 826 Grant. It was financed by James Black Burdell and built by Frank Silva who owned the property.|
|1915||Chamber of Commerce formed.|
|1917||Post Office housed next to Marin Bank on Grant (first permanent location).
Pini Grocery Store built on Grant by Henry Pini.
New state road, Hwy 101, built through Novato (Redwood Blvd.)
Third depot built after the second burned.
Petaluma Bridge built
|1918||The Novato Land Company, owners of the former Rancho Novato then Delong Ranch, started liquidating by subdividing into smaller farms. Sweetser Subdivision #1 which ran from First to Seventh Streets was the first sold.|
|1922||3rd. Novato Grammar School, also known as Grant Ave. School, built on Redwood Blvd., where McDonalds is now. Lulu Sutton was the Principal. It was demolished in 1959 as it did not meet earthquake standards.
Pini Feed Mill built.
Novato Advance begun by Wm. Hanen at 868 Grant Ave
Nave Garage and Novato Bakery open
Concrete sidewalks on part of Grant Ave.
|1923||Community House dedicated, April 11th
May 23rd Ignacio Pacheco adobe home at burns down
Paving of Grant Ave. (aka Main Street).
|1925||Sanitary District established
Library established on second floor of Community House.
|1926||Fire District Formed|
|1928||Sears Point Toll Road, also called the Black Point Cutoff, is opened. It is a private road to Vallejo.|
|1932||Hamilton Field construction begins|
|1934||State buys Sears Point Toll Road and it becomes Hwy 37|
|1935||Dedication of Hamilton Army Air Field|
|1936||Catholic Church burned and rebuilt on Grant Ave. and Second Street.|
|1946||Novato Airport built by Paul Binford and Jack Lewis|
|1947||Novato Theater opened by Alfred Bowman. Closes in the 1900’s|
|1948||North Marin Water District formed.|
|1948 – 1949||Sanitary District Treatment Plant built.
Redwood Blvd., Hwy 101, in Novato widened to 4 lanes